May the roof above us never fall in
And may we good companions beneath it never fall out.

~Irish blessing


Thursday, January 12, 2012

Smelling the Roses

Aren't these Dainty Bess roses amazing? All turned east so we can enjoy their pink frilly beauty from the kitchen doorway. 


They smell really divine too, and are just one of the pleasures in the garden right now that make a few adversities that we're facing right now that much easier. Unfortunately in the third trimester I've lost my ability to do much gardening, having been hit with a bad case of SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction) that's left me hobbling about on crutches. It's enormously frustrating, with nesting urges peaking and boxes I can't lift or do anything with sitting in our still to be set up nursery. Being mostly housebound, I don't know what I'd do without a bit of nature to go out and enjoy every day. Tom is as usual being an absolute superman, and still chipping away at the bathroom renovation between all of the other household duties he's had to pick up. The waterproofing is done now, so I'll take a few snaps and try to do a post on it as promised over the next few days. But for now I'll be grabbing a book (loving Kaz Cooke's Kidwrangling for a bit of afternoon reading right now) and finding a sunny spot amongst the flowers.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so sorry to read that you are not well. I will admit I know nothing about the condition, but I do hope that it will go away soon. I'm so glad that you are looking to other positives like the sense of smell in your garden and gratefulness for your husband. Is there a niece or nephew who needs holiday income and you could pay them to put things where you need them? Sit in a high chair and give orders??!! ;) Enjoy your sunny spot and reading. Am sending you lots of get well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) Yes, a small slave sounds like a good option. I will start scanning the neighbourhood...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you poor thing, we had a friend who went through the same and she enjoyed not one minute of it! Try and enjoy the enforced inactivity, sometimes our bodies know what we need more than we do! I was up a ladder in week 36 so determined to keep going on. Next day emergency ceaser! Enjoy stopping and smelling the roses...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alison, yes that's true, at least it's keeping me off ladders and I'll have a phD in baby care books by the end of the next two months. Hope you're also enjoying all of your amazing roses.

    ReplyDelete