May the roof above us never fall in
And may we good companions beneath it never fall out.

~Irish blessing


Friday, October 14, 2011

Baby Proofing

It's been another busy week, with the wardrobes all painted now, and the second bathroom ready for the sledgehammer. I still need to find places for my hairdryer etc in the interim, but for now I'm sitting here drinking my decaf latte and thinking about baby proofing. Yes, it's a wee bit early I know, with the baby not even due until March and all, but I can't help but start to see potential hazards, not just for our precious baby but for my precious vases.

For instance these vases here...


As you can see, the low tv unit they're on provides easy access for little hands. I know stuff is just stuff, and you can't take it with you, but the floral vase did come back with me in my suitcase from a trip to Vietnam, and the ribbed ceramic vase is a special piece from a pottery near Tom's parents house on the south coast. Neither  are heirlooms or expensive but I'd be sorry for them to be broken. 

It reminds me of an episode of Malcolm in the Middle where the parents are going away for the weekend and the mum picks up a vase and says to the boys 'This is the one thing left in this house that I still care about', then she smashes it on the ground and says 'Now I don't have to worry.'

I enjoyed Anna Spiro's post back in May titled 'No!' where she wrote:

 " I have always been a firm believer in leaving all my precious objects around the house and teaching  my children to respect my things which will eventually become theirs {whether they like it or not}."  

I really admire this philosophy but I really wonder whether it could possibly work for me.

This ceramic umbrella stand is another example...


and silver 'lucky cat'... he's sturdy but he could hurt a little person if they pulled him over.


Also potentially dangerous is this old wooden ironing board that I've never found a home for so it remains precariously propped up against the wall in the laundry loo.


And this antique Japanese tea chest. Tom secured the Ikea shoe cabinet and bookshelf to the wall, but to fix this to the wall, we'd have to drill holes in it.


People with babies, is this thing climbable? Do I need to worry?

Would love to know what everybody else does about their breakable/potentially dangerous possessions when their babies start crawling. Do you leave it all out and teach them from the beginning, temporarily hide it all away or just decide that nothing lasts forever?

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, every baby is different you know. My first was very easy to manage, but every subsequent child got worse! You'll know soon enough what will work when they are on the move.

    My youngest is now three and I'm happy enough to have my breakables etc out, but nothing super precious because you don't want kids walking on eggs shells all the time.

    They also love hiding things, so be prepared to see some of your things disappear for a while. I was lucky to save a valuable wooden tiki from the bin after it had gone missing!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brismod. I hear you about not wanting kids to be walking on egg shells. Our house is already so tiny and I really want to make at least some child friendly space for being active and messy in. Good to know when something is missing to check the bin! Probably seemed like an ingenious hiding place at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote from Malcolm in the Middle! I don't have children and am spoiled with a dog who doesn't break things. That leaves me and my husband and friends to break them! I have got rid of a lot of ornaments and kept only the really sentimental ones. But I've made peace with the fact that anything could be broken or lost. What about photographing these things that you love? In your garden, on a white background or on timber. That way, if you decide to keep them out and accessible and they are broken, you would still have the photo to enjoy it by. Or can you put some shelves up high to display them on? Above a doorway? Such exciting times for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi LI,
    I love that idea of photographing things! Would mean less clutter too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I left everything out and taught Miss 10 to respect. In hindsight, maybe I was lucky as she was never into powerpoints, cupboards etc. Don't panic yet - you MIGHT get on these ones...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Alison. I think I will go with this to begin with and keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete