May the roof above us never fall in
And may we good companions beneath it never fall out.

~Irish blessing


Friday, September 16, 2011

Scrapbook #3: Kids Rooms

So as many of our friends and family now know, the big news at chez Our Old House is that we're expecting a baby. This has slowed our renovations down somewhat, as it has taken me out of all the chemically laden tasks I'd previously been doing - painting, stripping old paint, filling etc - giving Tom twice as much to do. With not a lot left for me to do on the house (luckily still lots to do in the garden), I've taken on more of a project management sort of role, and specifically started thinking about baby rooms. 

Last night we watched that wonderful French documentary 'Babies'. It's a totally absorbing, funny, beautiful look at the first year of 4 babies living in Namibia, San Francisco, Tokyo and Mongolia. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Anyway, one thing that comes across very strongly in the film is that babies aren't too fussy about their surroundings, clothes, toys etc. They don't give a crap about fashion or coordinated nursery decor and in some cases less is actually more. There's a classic scene where the Japanese baby girl throws herself down on the floor in a fit of frustration amid her many toys, while in Mongolia a baby boy tethered to the bed by a length of rope (sounds worse than it is, don't worry, he's much loved) is thrilled to get his hands on an endlessly fun roll of loo paper.

Don't get me wrong, from my toddler years onwards I have great memories of the colours and textures of the homes we lived and holidayed in, as does my husband, but when it comes to babies, the styling is more for us than for the baby, and I admit I am having lots of fun browsing Oh Dee Doh and the like. Here are a few from my scrapbook so far.

Modern Grace Designs 

Watmaakt Suzette Nu 

Via So Lovely 

Apartment Therapy 

 Apartment Therapy

Via Desire to Inspire 

Decorpad 

Unknown 

Oh Dee Doh 

 Oh Dee Doh

Oh Dee Doh 

Unknown 

Re-nest 

Pink Wallpaper 

Unknown

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Congratulations. I did a gorgeous nursery but since then the toy crap has taken over. I lust after some of those rooms. Enjoy your nesting and your growing. It was truly one of my favourite bits of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alison,
    That's lovely to hear. We're very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous nurseries. I had my bubba twelve long weeks ago (long in a good way, like I can't imagine life before kind of way) and really enjoyed the nursing phase. The massive waddling phase, not so much. Love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I say nursing phase I of course mean nesting phase. Also, baby brain? It's very real and quite a serious affliction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Edwina, just been over checking out your beautiful blog. Realised you meant nesting/nursery making. I've been leaving typos all over the place. If I'm this bad with baby brain I can't imagine how I'll be with sleep deprived baby brain.

    ReplyDelete