May the roof above us never fall in
And may we good companions beneath it never fall out.

~Irish blessing


Thursday, August 25, 2011

Spring Flowers and the Quassia Quest

How could anyone resist this face?

via Flickriver

I love possums and firmly believe we should do our best to accommodate them in the little amount of habitat they have left in inner Melbourne. Recently though they've taken a particular liking to our young avocado tree, eating all the leaves off the top half then starting to munch down the stems. How can I communicate to them that if they'd give the tree a chance to grow, there'd be a lot more leaves and perhaps even fruit for us all to share? I'm hoping the answer may be quassia - the extremely bitter tasting bark of a south american tree. Some pharmacies sell quassia chips for treating headlice, but I purchased some fairly easily on ebay. Now most sources will tell you to soak the chips in boiling hot water to make the spray, but apparently this destroys a lot of the bitterness so I just soaked the chips overnight in cold water and sprayed it on.


And the result? New growth on the avocado tree.


And since I was in the garden with my camera I snapped a few of the beautiful blooms opening up all over the place.









Spring is definitely in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment