May the roof above us never fall in
And may we good companions beneath it never fall out.

~Irish blessing


Monday, July 25, 2011

TV's The Renovators

Did anyone watch The Renovators last night? Up until now, I've resisted the slew of home improvement shows on TV, mainly because they seem more about time challenges and conflict than handy DIY advice, and they're seldom in line with my personal tastes. This time though, one of those extended commercials got to me, and I can't say whether I'll watch it consistently, but being a lover of anything 'before' and 'after' I might keep an eye on it. I was glad Joanne won for all her hard work in the challenge and got first dibs on the houses. Not sure of her choice though: 

The Sixties Suburban


I think she's a smart woman and was driven by the higher value and neighbourhood. The aim is to achieve the highest increase in value though, and I just don't know what I would do with THAT SHAPE.

I was also happy to see Natalia recognised for creatively upcycling some old materials and making those lovely light boxes. It would be nice to see more of that sort of thing in the show, rather than everything being torn out and thrown into the skip.

Tom watched the show with me, and we quickly challenged each other to pick a house before they showed more details. I went for the Edwardian 'Half-done' house and he picked the inner city terrace.

The Half-Done House


Great ceilings. Good bones.


 Love the vaulted ceiling and the high windows.


 Granted this bathroom is a bit of a challenge.


But you can't go past established trees, and how gorgeous is this beautiful frangipani. If they pull it out I'll never watch the show again!


Tom might be right though, choosing the inner city terrace. How cute are these photos?






Other choices are The Shop, The Fibro Cottage and The Weatherboard. Which house would you choose?

1 comment:

  1. I'd choose the half-done house too. As you say, great Edwardian bones, love the red brick, and someone's already put some decent work into it.

    ReplyDelete