May the roof above us never fall in
And may we good companions beneath it never fall out.

~Irish blessing


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The best of times and the worst of times.

In late spring Tom said to me "Get out and take some photos of the garden, it's never looked so good."



Baby carrots and beetroot plump with promise...


Surely, with the new raised beds and a northern aspect it would continue to look good though right? Maybe I was busy with the rest of the painting, sanding and other duties associated with the new house, or maybe I hoped the new conditions would be different. Whatever the reason I left my bird netting, organic fungicides and insecticidal oils packed away and decided to just let it all fend for itself...

The carrots and beetroot were eaten in an overnight attack from what I'm guessing was possums, but could also have been rats or mice - I've seen both squeezing behind the trellis to inspect what's on offer.

White fly and some sort of mining insect (tomato caterpillar) dig some heavy damage to the tomatoes before I wised up and sprayed eco oil and dipel.

Rats, mice, possums? I know they have to eat too, but I wish they'd at least take one tomato and finish it!



In better news, the pond and fish are coming along well and provide a nitrate rich water for the veggies each week when I do the water change.




The quince tree has put on some growth, albeit a little lopsided.




The two side beds are netted now to discourage the critters.


And we might get a decent crop of Meyer lemons now that they're getting some decent sun.


A few new plants in the garden:

Tea (camelia sinensis)

Lovage

Stevia (sugar plant)




No comments:

Post a Comment