May the roof above us never fall in
And may we good companions beneath it never fall out.

~Irish blessing


Monday, January 12, 2009

Harlequin Beetles. Eek!

The Harlequin Beetles (Dindymus versicolor) are back... I'd noticed a few little ones around the garden.They are Australian native sap suckers and last year they nearly killed a young Wonga Vine, and I found their nest in some weeds along the side of the house. Thismorning I went along the side of the house pulling out clumps of weeds and voila - hordes of juvenile Harlequin bugs poured out of one clump. I squished as many as I could and will check again tomorrow. Apparently they are a real danger to tomatoes.

Jackie French suggests: "If you're troubled with harlequin beetles in the garden- sometimes called push-me- pull-you because of their active sex lives- stick some broad pieces of cardboard on the ground around the garden. Check each afternoon for sheltering beetles. This should reduce the numbers in your garden next season considerably."
www.jackiefrench.com I will try this.


No comments:

Post a Comment