May the roof above us never fall in
And may we good companions beneath it never fall out.

~Irish blessing


Monday, January 5, 2009

Beans beans beans

The 'Green Stringless' free seeds I got from Diggers and planted along the fence turned out to be bush beans. No worries though as they are really crunchy and delicious. 

The borlotti are also doing really well. They have pale pink flowers and the pods start green and are just starting to develop pinkish camouflage. I'm planning to use them fresh in soups and perhaps dry a few if we have enough of a crop. 

I did want some climbers though, so yesterday we planted some scarlet runner beans and my husband made a bamboo teepee to stand over them once they surface. The bamboo cloche protects the seeds from the blackbirds who love to dig them up.

Scarlet Runner Bean Patch



Borlotti Beans

2 comments:

  1. The bamboo cloche is a beautiful object as well as useful - much better than chicken wire! It's good to see your borlotti beans doing well. I'm thinking of trying to grow them for the first time this year. I envy you your tomatoes, but our new growing season will start soon now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The Borlotti beans are doing beautifully now, although next time I think I'd grow a pole type to get more of a harvest. I accidently knocked a pod off yesterday and the little beans were delicious raw. Good luck with the tomatoes. I envy living in France! lol.

    ReplyDelete