May the roof above us never fall in
And may we good companions beneath it never fall out.

~Irish blessing


Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tomato propogating experiment

I read somewhere recently that if you remove a 'sucker' - the branches that sprout from between the laterals and main stem - and put it in potting mix, that it will strike roots and grow in to a new tomato plant.

I removed this one today from the Black Russian tomato plant that has been doing so well.

I will post the results :)

UPDATE: 5 days later. No wilting. Looking good.

UPDATE: 16/01/09 The cutting formed quite a decent rootball but never grew any bigger. Trial and error...

2 comments:

  1. Best ones are if you plant the seedling well down in the soil, so the shoot comes off below soil level. When you pull it off, it already has roots.

    I often get them like this because I prune my tommies by removing these shoots.

    Sometimes it helps to reduce the leaves a little bit when they first become independent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Linda! What amazing and thriving plants tomatoes are.

    ReplyDelete